In this episode we interview Joan Sotkin, business owner and founder of Prosperity Place – helping her clients find a holistic approach to business and financial success. Joan also shares stories from her diverse background, including the challenges and failures she overcame in her life before finding long-term success as an entrepreneur.
About Joan Sotkin:
For over 25 years Joan has helped entrepreneurs and practitioners use their inner resources along with practical techniques to experience freedom from struggle personally, professionally, and financially. Thousands have benefited from her groundbreaking book “Build Your Money Muscles: Nine Simple Exercises for Improving Your Relationship with Money” and her ongoing support programs. She recently published her new book “The Search for Connection: A Spiritual Journey to Physical, Emotional, and Financial Health”.
Joan is a holistic Prosperity and Mindset Mentor and a dynamic, inspiring speaker who brings a depth of knowledge plus a huge dose of empathy and compassion to her work. She is THE expert when it comes to understanding how emotions learned in early childhood can affect a person’s earning capacity as an adult.
She is also the host of The Prosperity Place podcast.
- In this episode of The How of Business podcast Joan Sotkin shares her journey of Self-Discovery and Small Business Experiences.
- After a short time as a teacher, she went on a journey of self-discovery.
- After teaching, she sold books door-to-door. This job taught her the basics of sales.
- Her husband at the time was in the television industry, and she also began working in that industry.
- Her first business was a lapidary (a person who cuts, polishes, or engraves gems or stones) or crystals retail business. After initial success, she had to close the business.
- After moving to Santa Fe, New Mexico she started Prosperity Place in 1997 – dedicated to helping people live happier, healthier more prosperous lives.
- Joan explains that “Everything about you is a habit.” She shares advice on changing your habits to achieve success in life and in our small businesses.
- “The situation doesn’t cause the emotion, the emotion causes the situation.”
- She also shares valuable insights on changing habits, setting personal goals, and feeling more connected.
- “If I only had more people” is what we are really mean when we say “If I only had more money.”
- She recommends meditation as part of your morning ritual.
- Joan share insights on avoiding chronic debt.
- “The thing we long for the most is feeling loved and being touched.”
- “Internally love yourself, externally connect” with other people.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
You can find all episodes of The How of Business podcast, the show that helps you achieve your dream of being your own boss and growing a successful small business, on our Archives page.